How Often Should You Walk Your Dog – Many people have doubts about how often it is necessary for a dog to go out on the street because although one can say a number of walks or a certain time, this is not a rule for all dogs.
In this article of PeritoAnimal we will talk about the walking needs of dogs and in addition, we will give you a series of very useful advice to apply them in this essential and basic routine.
When a puppy is still a puppy you should wander to learn how to urinate abroad, relate to other people and other pets.
After the puppy receives the first vaccines is ready to go out to the street and begin to learn what his adult routine will be. It is important that before you adopt a dog think if you have time to dedicate it, as well as a constancy to teach you everything you need to know.
The time to teach to urinate abroad will happen on several occasions when our little dog cannot stand it and will urinate inside our house. Do not worry, it’s normal that it takes time to get used to it. For this reason, we must make a calculation of the time that our dog will be able to urinate again and anticipate their physical needs.
This calculation will depend on this specific dog, in any case, be calm, as the dog grows, he will learn to control his needs.
Ride an adult dog
Once the dog knows how to do his / her needs outside the home, we must promote well-being in his / her daily routine, this avoids that he/she cannot tolerate and end up urinating at home. Remember that you should never berate the dog if he urinated a few hours before you got home.
It is important to understand that the needs of the ride will not be the same as for an Afghan hound and a Westy, as they do not have the same walking pace or the same exercise needs. For this reason, we can state that the daily activity of a dog will depend on the particular dog.
In any case, we must know that any dog, to be happy, must walk between 45 and 90 minutes daily, whether it is divided into two, three or four walks, this will depend on their availability. In addition, and thinking about your dog concretely, you should add or not exercise during the ride (releasing it and playing with a ball is also a form of exercise).
Walking of an elderly dog
Older dogs continue to have the same walking needs as any other dog, and even more so, since reaching the old age stage tends to ingest a lot of fluids.
We recommend that as soon as your dog is old, be sure to practice activities with him, and although he is unable to go for long walks and exercise, the elderly dog will feel grateful to enjoy more walks, even if they are shorter.
During the ride of the elderly dog, you should be careful about heat stroke, as well as prevent other pets from playing with it abruptly. Remember that he is now more sensitive and should take care of him as he deserves.
Advice during the tour
Your dog’s ride should be an exclusive moment for him, dedicated to improving his quality of life, meeting his needs and having a good time. For this reason, in the PeritoAnimal, we would like to give you some advice to improve the quality of these tours, something that has a direct impact on the positive attitude of the animal:
- Do not take away the protagonist, this is the moment of your dog.
- Get carried away, the dog will like the ride more if it can decide where to go. Many people have the wrong idea that they should drive and control the ride. If you decide to do so you can see how the attitude is more positive.
- Let your dog smell the flowers, people, other pees and everything you want, let him relax and let him sit in his surroundings. In addition, he is vaccinated does not have to be afraid.
- Let yourself interact with other dogs if you notice that they both have a positive attitude, it must be up to them to decide if they want to do it, do not force them if they do not want to.
- Look for an area where you can release it without a strap for at least 5 or 10 minutes.
- It is not so important the length of the tour but rather the quality of it.
- The longer ride should be the morning, the fewer dogs on the street the quieter the ride.
- If you are in a region of woods and bush, you can practice searching, a technique that consists of spreading rations on the ground, especially in areas where there are stones and plants, for them to look for and find. This enhances the stimulation of the dog’s nose.